Thursday 31 January 2013

White people in Kenya and the Chaos of African Democrazy !

President Obama was telling people democracy can be Messy but African Democacy is chaos . It all happened at the CBD on December 31, at around 7.30pm. My friend and I were about to leave. Kenya after 16 fabulous days, and just wanted to get some booze to celebrate the New Year at the hotel room. There was an Ukwala Supermarket just around the corner and on our way, we got swallowed up in the masses of people. There were women hawkers with a child or two selling items from a rug in the street… After shopping, we suddenly heard a huge blast. Then we noticed a grey cloud swarming into the doors of the supermarket. Seconds after the pain hit our eyes, our nostrils, our throats — tear gas! My friend grabbed my hand and we squeezed fast out of the door. In the mob another voice cried into my ears “Welcome to Kenya, mzungu! Experience how Kenyans suffer.” I admit I am a spoiled brat from Europe. I have a good job, I have never felt hunger (unless I want to lose weight), I have an apartment, etc. But how could any one just think of hurting women and children? That is what disturbs my heart. How can your government tolerate the askaris and their brutal power? In my country we have had democracy for 150 years and I believe ethical thoughts are assumed for all. I can use my voice to defend my opinion and I don’t have to agree with anybody. In March you Kenyans must use your votes against these inhumane acts. MARIA SJOQVIST, Denmark

No comments: